Real World Survival Training School

Real Talk Forum

Forum Home > Training & Self-Defense > DON'T GET CAUGHT IN THE FTX SYNDROME!!!

Kurt R Howland
Site Owner

For those of you that don't know, an FTX is a Field Traning Exercise.  Many groups across the state hold them on a monthly basis.  This is where the "Big Boys" get to go play Army on the weekend.

They can be great learning experiences, but you don't want to get caught in the FTX syndrome. 

Most of the leaders of these groups push that you show up every month to be trained so you can be ready.  In fact the leader of one of these groups has even gone as far as suspending people from his trainings for not showing up for his monthly get together.

But most of these same leaders that push their FTX's miss the real training.  That is when everyone goes home after the weekend.  You see the most important training is done when your on your own.  That's right it's the training you do to keep yourself fit and ready for any situation.

Without any other training those FTX's just wind up getting people sore for a couple of days and increase their chances of getting hurt.  From what i've seen of many of these groups is they don't push this fact because they don't so it themselves.  They get their kicks playing Army on the weekend, inflating their egos showing whatever skills they have to beginners, and then they go back to doing nothing the rest of the month in the way of training.

You see the personal training you do when not at an FTX is the most important aspect of your being ready.  As you train by yourself you develop self disipline to do things you may not want to do on your own, you become fit not just sore for a weekend.  You learn to push yourself without someone telling you you have to do it.  These are all very immportant personal traits to have in a survival situation.

The other thing you should be doing is challenging yourself to do things that make you face fear, that give you an adrenalin rush.  People either love that rush or hate it.

You can do many different things, but what I reccommend most is a full contact fighting sport as the most effective.  Why you want to do this is because if you have never been in a life or death situation you don't know how you will react to that fight or flight reaction your body goes into when you are in harms way. 

Believe me you don't want to be thrown in that situation and not know how you are going to react.  I have seen very well trained men, and even so called combat vets fall apart on the Arizona border when they realized their lives where in danger.

Anyone in my area can come to the Deltona Boxing gym where I am an instructor to see how you react, and to really ready yourself for "Real World" situations.  Understand this, what you percieve you can do and what you really can do sometimes are two different things. 

It is sad to say there are plenty of phony's out there today.  They have their own agendas of control, politics, self gradifacation, and some I think are just reliving their childhood. When you are looking to prepare yourself be aware of this and go by your gut feeling about whoever you decide to get instuction from. 

Kurt out.

--

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

March 9, 2011 at 8:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Phoenix

Thanks for the reminder Kurt, That  is why I make survival videos.  I enjoy doing it but it makes me get out there and practice and I learn what works and what doesn't. It may not be hand to hand but it's great dirt time.

It's hard to find anyone that is willing to let me open a can of  whip-ass on them around these parts. N.E.

Px out

--

I will do all I can before I die or die trying.

March 23, 2011 at 5:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bushmaster

Hey Phoenix how about coming with us to the border at the end of May or begining of June. would be nice all of us work together in real time situations.

LOL by the way excellent post Widowmaker

Bushmaster out

--

Bushmaster out

March 23, 2011 at 6:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bulldog

Great post.  This is the type of self-motivation we all need.

March 23, 2011 at 9:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Phoenix

Bushmaster at March 23, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Hey Phoenix how about coming with us to the border at the end of May or begining of June. would be nice all of us work together in real time situations.

LOL by the way excellent post Widowmaker

Bushmaster out

I have been working years on getting my wife to understand the whole WTSHTF scenario, she's come along ways but not enough to let me go to the border and then come back still marred, I do what I can and she comes first.

Thanks for the invite though.

--

I will do all I can before I die or die trying.

March 24, 2011 at 3:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bushmaster

I understand getting the WTSHTF scenario my wife is the same way. Just me and the wife have an understand when it come to things as these. I volunteered to go to vietnam and she knows how patriotic I am and she knows also if she say no I do it just to piss her off :) So she usually just shuts up, because she knows nothing is going to change  my mine.:) I give on a lot of things for her, this is one thing she knows is my fight lolo.

Anyway I explain to her at my age I have to go do this while I can. I have lived through much  in my life and made it so I believe that God has a plan for me and this is it I guess. I am able to do it physcially now. If you can how about helping with donatons there are many whom want to go and can't afford to every little bit helps us to be able to do our duty. thanks and hope I have the pleasure in meeting you some day and not in troubled times if you know what I mean.

Bushmaster out

--

Bushmaster out

March 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.